Skip to main content

Toddler Tantrum Or Tiny Human Terrorist

I’m sitting up in bed with chamomile tea wondering just how to put my thoughts together. This week especially has seemed incredibly long. I’ve cried more times than I care to admit. I’ve also gone to bed every single night praying that tomorrow will be better than today was.

My oldest has been in the terrible two stage for over a year now. He has really good streaks where everything is perfect and then really horrible streaks where he turns in to a living breathing demon. Don’t get me wrong I absolutely adore my baby. He made me a mother and I wouldn’t ever trade him for anything.. But this week has felt like a terrorist attack.

I know this phase is completely normal and doesn’t last forever (though I’ve been told it does last for a few years). Even knowing that, I still find myself feeling defeated. I had this perfect picture in my head while pregnant and in the “new mom phase” that my life would be perfect. That my child would never act like the other kids throwing tantrums. I dreamed of a halo on his head and no tears (I know right now you’re all laughing just like me).

The situation turned from ponies and rainbows when my son was about 18 months old and has now quickly been escalating. He’s that child that when you say “don’t touch” automatically sticks his finger as close as possible to the thing that he’s not supposed touch, all the while making eye contact with me and grinning. He screams super high pitched and has now even learned that throwing himself on the ground while screaming is great fun.

Everyone tells you that terrible two’s are awful but of course no one believes. Even if you’re like me and took the advice, no amount of preparation (including hanging out with friends who have toddlers, and taking care of toddler sized family members) helped. Oh no! When it comes to your own tiny human, it’s a whole new level of hell created just for you! Ever heard of the ten fold rule? You know the one where your kids will be ten times worse than you were for the misery you put your mom through? Yeah well it sucks! There I said it. Terrible two’s absolutely suck!

I know one day I’ll look back and miss these days but right now, it seems like this is how it will be for life! I love my baby and of course I would go through hell and back for him. The days that he is all smiles and cuddles are the days I live for! Those kinds of days are seemingly few and really spread apart but they are so worth it! My boy is my tiny bestfriend and so like me that it’s scary but he makes all the rough days, tears, and all of the questioning myself worth it!

I know other moms out there are in this rut too, and we can get through it! One thing I’ve learned is that distraction and over expressing love are key right now. My little one seems to act a little better if I give him a huge long hug and tell him how much I love him and that I’m thankful he is my baby. If that doesn’t work, I redirect him with toys and things. Yes I know, when they are throwing a fit sometimes that’s easier said than done. If you have a moment of frustration and nothing works, it’s ok to walk away for a second and breath. Your toddler will be fine I promise. When they grow up they will remember just how much you loved them and the wonderful world they grew up in, not the Tuesday where you cried in the bathroom because the sippy cup was the wrong color and they threw themselves on the floor.

There is no black and white for raising a child. There’s no perfect way at all! As long as you raise your child with love and respect, the rest will follow! You got this mama! There is a light at the end of the tunnel! These days are few in the span of a lifetime. Just remember, you are never alone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To All Of My NICU Parents!

This one goes out to all the mamas (and daddies) who either have had or are currently going through the NICU journey with their baby. Words can’t express the NICU journey properly but I will do my best. Let’s start with how my NICU story began. Just one day shy of 10 months ago, I gave birth to my second baby boy. I was 27 weeks pregnant and literally dying. The pregnancy as a whole got really scary and complicated in my second trimester and just kept getting worse. I was on bedrest because the pregnancy was high risk. I couldn’t take more than five steps without getting so out of breath I would almost pass out. I was drinking obscene amounts of milk to combat what I thought and was told was heartburn. There were days where I couldn’t feel my little guy moving very much. I knew I was having contractions so I was in and out of labor and delivery all to get told that since I “wasn’t screaming in pain and I wasn’t dilating that I wasn’t in labor.”  On November 21st at about 8 pm, I n

Mom Shaming.. Just Don’t Do It.

Mom shaming. Have you heard of it? Chances are if you are a mom you’ve definitely heard of it. In a super connected world with social media and such, mom shaming has become a major issue. Pretty much everyone has fallen victim to or been the holier than thou mother who feels her way is better than anyone else’s. But why do moms feel the need to shame other moms? We are all trying our very best at the same job! I was online the other day and I read a viral blog on Facebook about using the cry it out method. The moms in the comment thread were basically in a verbal blood bath with each other! One mom would say that the cry it out method was basically abuse. Another mom would comment and educate about how parents who use the cry it out method don’t actually lock their children in a room to scream all night. The original commenter would comment back and so the war began. I’ve seen moms shame other moms because a mom would post a picture of her child eating a cheeseburger and fries.

Learning To Speak Through Playtime

Last week when I took my oldest child to his two year checkup, I was told that he needed speech therapy. This isn’t the only time I was told my boy would need therapy of some sort. When he was seven months old, his previous pediatrician told me that if he didn’t start sitting on his own within a month, he would need physical therapy. As a mom, my first thought was “I have once again failed my baby.” While talking to his pediatrician, she could see that thought written all over my face. What she then said to me was everything I needed in that moment. She said, “him needing therapy does not mean he is dumb or deaf. He has accelerated on so many other levels. Him needing speech therapy simply means that he didn’t take an interest in talking, but is now at an age where he will fall behind if he doesn’t start soon.” Of course, as she always does, she told me exactly what I needed to hear. She helped me see that I’m not failing as a mother. She taught me that some children just do thi