Skip to main content

Mom Shaming.. Just Don’t Do It.

Mom shaming. Have you heard of it? Chances are if you are a mom you’ve definitely heard of it. In a super connected world with social media and such, mom shaming has become a major issue. Pretty much everyone has fallen victim to or been the holier than thou mother who feels her way is better than anyone else’s. But why do moms feel the need to shame other moms? We are all trying our very best at the same job!

I was online the other day and I read a viral blog on Facebook about using the cry it out method. The moms in the comment thread were basically in a verbal blood bath with each other! One mom would say that the cry it out method was basically abuse. Another mom would comment and educate about how parents who use the cry it out method don’t actually lock their children in a room to scream all night. The original commenter would comment back and so the war began.

I’ve seen moms shame other moms because a mom would post a picture of her child eating a cheeseburger and fries. I’ve seen mom shaming about baby food. There’s mom shaming geared towards when and where a child goes to the dr. Moms shame other moms for even how they gave birth to their child! It’s ridiculous!

Now, let me share a few scenarios in which most of us (sadly myself included) have even mentally shamed a mom for what we saw, not what we knew. Scenario #1: You go to the grocery store to pick up a few things and after about five minutes or so you hear a child screaming. You happen to walk to the same isle that the screaming is coming from and you immediately side eye the child’s mom. All the while you’re thinking “just leave already.” That mom you just mentally shamed? She hasn’t been able to get groceries for weeks because any and every time she goes anywhere her child screams and she knows that it’s not ok. She has begged, pleaded, and even bribed the child so that she can get the necessities for the next few weeks.

Scenario #2: You’re scrolling through Facebook and see a picture a mom has posted of her kids eating McDonald’s. You’re thinking “Wow. McDonald’s for dinner? Not a balanced meal in the slightest.” That mom has been running errands all day. Her children have screamed themselves silly. She still had to come home to a messy house and make sure that it was clean. She didn’t have the time, patience, or energy to make dinner that night.

Scenario #3: You’ve drooped your child off at school and saw them to the door. Right as you go to pull out another mom pulls up and rushes to get her child out of the car. This mom is wearing sweat pants. Her hair is half in a bun, half not. She has bags under her eyes and has mismatched flip flops on. She rushes her kid to the door right as the bell rings. You’re sitting there thinking “Geeze Susan, get up earlier and actually get ready and be a mom instead of always making your kids late.” Well Susan was up all night with a screaming newborn. She has had maybe 3 hours of sleep. While getting ready, her baby woke up and demanded to be held the whole time. Her other child refused the breakfast she made and then proceeded to make a scene about getting his clothes on and teeth brushed for an hour.

Do you see where I’m going with this? It’s so easy to shame other moms without placing yourself in their shoes that day. As mothers, we will never be perfect! Heck, there’s no manual for parenthood! We already mentally beat ourselves up for not being the absolute perfect mother and yet we shame moms for doing their best.

I know I have been on both ends of the spectrum. I have been shamed. I have also shamed. It makes me sad that I have to admit that. Being the victim of a mom shamer tears you down and makes you feel even worse than you already do.

We are all moms. We all have our own beautiful birthing stories. We are all doing our best every single day to make sure that it children are happy, healthy, clean, and fed. We are all breaking ourselves every single day. We aren’t perfect, but we do our very best! So the next time you see something to mom shame about, place yourself in her shoes! Let’s all stick together and spread happiness and love! If it’s a situation like car seats just kindly educate! Let’s strive everyday to make sure that we lift each other up not tear each other down!

Comments

  1. You just speak the truth every time!! I am also at fault and you never realize it till you read something like this! Your words are truly amazing!! I look forward to you next blog! 💕

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is touching and so true. Reading this it is hard to realize that I too I am at fault too for shaming and I to have been shamed. You truly have a skill for writing your blogs have been amazing ❤️ I look forward to reading your next blog ��

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To All Of My NICU Parents!

This one goes out to all the mamas (and daddies) who either have had or are currently going through the NICU journey with their baby. Words can’t express the NICU journey properly but I will do my best. Let’s start with how my NICU story began. Just one day shy of 10 months ago, I gave birth to my second baby boy. I was 27 weeks pregnant and literally dying. The pregnancy as a whole got really scary and complicated in my second trimester and just kept getting worse. I was on bedrest because the pregnancy was high risk. I couldn’t take more than five steps without getting so out of breath I would almost pass out. I was drinking obscene amounts of milk to combat what I thought and was told was heartburn. There were days where I couldn’t feel my little guy moving very much. I knew I was having contractions so I was in and out of labor and delivery all to get told that since I “wasn’t screaming in pain and I wasn’t dilating that I wasn’t in labor.”  On November 21st at about 8 pm, I n

Learning To Speak Through Playtime

Last week when I took my oldest child to his two year checkup, I was told that he needed speech therapy. This isn’t the only time I was told my boy would need therapy of some sort. When he was seven months old, his previous pediatrician told me that if he didn’t start sitting on his own within a month, he would need physical therapy. As a mom, my first thought was “I have once again failed my baby.” While talking to his pediatrician, she could see that thought written all over my face. What she then said to me was everything I needed in that moment. She said, “him needing therapy does not mean he is dumb or deaf. He has accelerated on so many other levels. Him needing speech therapy simply means that he didn’t take an interest in talking, but is now at an age where he will fall behind if he doesn’t start soon.” Of course, as she always does, she told me exactly what I needed to hear. She helped me see that I’m not failing as a mother. She taught me that some children just do thi