Skip to main content

Learning To Speak Through Playtime

Last week when I took my oldest child to his two year checkup, I was told that he needed speech therapy. This isn’t the only time I was told my boy would need therapy of some sort. When he was seven months old, his previous pediatrician told me that if he didn’t start sitting on his own within a month, he would need physical therapy.

As a mom, my first thought was “I have once again failed my baby.” While talking to his pediatrician, she could see that thought written all over my face. What she then said to me was everything I needed in that moment. She said, “him needing therapy does not mean he is dumb or deaf. He has accelerated on so many other levels. Him needing speech therapy simply means that he didn’t take an interest in talking, but is now at an age where he will fall behind if he doesn’t start soon.”

Of course, as she always does, she told me exactly what I needed to hear. She helped me see that I’m not failing as a mother. She taught me that some children just do things differently and in their own time. I am so grateful for my children’s pediatrician because not only is she their doctor whom I trust with my children’s lives, but she has also become a therapist in some ways as well as a friend!

When I was told that my son needed therapy to sit, I immediately said “nope, not happening.” I didn’t shut down the idea because of pride. I shut down the idea because as his mother, I know him better than anyone on this planet (some of you are probably saying “but Jerrika, sometimes outside help is needed.” And you would be right.)  I know how his little mind works and how to help him learn. I decided right then and there that I would spend every waking moment that I could, helping him at home where I knew that he would be the most comfortable. I felt like being in a strange place with strangers around would make things worse for him because he doesn’t take to strangers at all.

With this new news of speech therapy, I knew his dad and I, wouldn’t have all the answers and tools to help him here at home so I immediately started working with his pediatrician to start the therapy. When the call came that they wouldn’t have an opening for an evaluation (which is like dipping your toe in to the waters of actually starting speech therapy) until this December, I started asking questions. I asked the therapy office what they would recommend until then, which honestly wasn’t much help (they said every child is different so until the evaluation they don’t have much to go off of and that totally makes sense!) I started asking google. I searched Pinterest. I asked around in the mommy groups that I am in on Facebook. I spent hours asking. Being proactive can only help right?

The answers I received were vast! I was told to read to him whenever possible. I was told to talk. Tell him what I’m doing. Give dialogue when playing even something as simple as playing with blocks. Ask questions. Give him choices and make him pick. I was told to make or buy flash cards with different words, numbers, colors.. etc. There is seriously so much help out there so thank Internet!

Right away, my mother in law and I packed up the boys and headed to a few different stores. We bought flash cards, toy kitchen utensils (a potato masher, a whisk..the works!), a board puzzle with block shapes, another book, and a bag to hold everything in. It also helped that for his birthday he got lots of books, stickers, coloring books, crayons, and lots more!

Fast forward to today. Six days after learning about speech therapy. My little one has said a few new words including water, a more clear version of vacuum, cool, he pieced together I love you, and has started using thank you a lot more! I seriously can not tell you how proud I am of my baby! I know there will be days where it feels like we’ve gotten no where, but right now he is excelling! Depending on how well he is doing by December, I still plan on utilizing the speech therapy but right now I’m very optimistic that he might not need it!

Sometimes we think that when our child can’t do things that others their age can, we have failed our babies. That is NOT true. Children learn at their own pace, and every single person has a different way of learning than the next person. One thing that this last week has taught me is that when it comes to our babies, there is no cut and dry way but, there will be a way that’s perfect for them as an individual. We just have to find it!

Comments

  1. You are doing an amazing job! Keep up the great work mama! It will all work out! I love the fact my son got therapy because I had no idea how to go about it but those are all great inputs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To All Of My NICU Parents!

This one goes out to all the mamas (and daddies) who either have had or are currently going through the NICU journey with their baby. Words can’t express the NICU journey properly but I will do my best. Let’s start with how my NICU story began. Just one day shy of 10 months ago, I gave birth to my second baby boy. I was 27 weeks pregnant and literally dying. The pregnancy as a whole got really scary and complicated in my second trimester and just kept getting worse. I was on bedrest because the pregnancy was high risk. I couldn’t take more than five steps without getting so out of breath I would almost pass out. I was drinking obscene amounts of milk to combat what I thought and was told was heartburn. There were days where I couldn’t feel my little guy moving very much. I knew I was having contractions so I was in and out of labor and delivery all to get told that since I “wasn’t screaming in pain and I wasn’t dilating that I wasn’t in labor.”  On November 21st at about 8 pm, I n

Mom Shaming.. Just Don’t Do It.

Mom shaming. Have you heard of it? Chances are if you are a mom you’ve definitely heard of it. In a super connected world with social media and such, mom shaming has become a major issue. Pretty much everyone has fallen victim to or been the holier than thou mother who feels her way is better than anyone else’s. But why do moms feel the need to shame other moms? We are all trying our very best at the same job! I was online the other day and I read a viral blog on Facebook about using the cry it out method. The moms in the comment thread were basically in a verbal blood bath with each other! One mom would say that the cry it out method was basically abuse. Another mom would comment and educate about how parents who use the cry it out method don’t actually lock their children in a room to scream all night. The original commenter would comment back and so the war began. I’ve seen moms shame other moms because a mom would post a picture of her child eating a cheeseburger and fries.