Skip to main content

Why a mommy blog?

So let me start by saying oh my gosh I’m finally starting my blog! I’ve seriously gone back and forth forever about what to write and just how to put my thoughts together so without further ado, welcome to Surely It’s Madness!

Probably just like the majority of you, I am a mom! I have a two year old and an almost 9 month old! I have a boyfriend who is 25 and I couldn’t even dream of a better man! I’m 23, and currently a stay at home mom. I absolutely adore what I do and what’s more I love my little family! I decided to start this mommy blog because I want all the moms out there to know that they aren’t alone! Being a mom is hardwork! It’s beautiful, disgusting, chaotic, lovely, not for the feint of heart, but oh so worth it! I want to make sure that every mom out there who is a hot mess, gets frustrated, and probably needs the entire bottle of wine has someone out there who can relate!

Let’s face it! We all love being mothers and we would do anything for our babies but we need our time too! Each week, I’ll be diving in to different topics such as, books I recommend and why, toddler tantrums and how it’s ok to get frustrated, cooking horror and success stories, and so much more!

Before we can get there though, I really feel the need to tell my story as it plays such a MAJOR part in why this blog means so much to me! So to start, before ever even considering children, I had found out I was 4 weeks pregnant. I was only 19, and just starting to grow up a little. I was terrified but I was so excited! My first ultrasound was scheduled for my 20th birthday. Well, the ultrasound rolled around and they told me I was going through an ectopic pregnancy  but it wasn’t a normal one. The cells that would have made my little angel had attached to my ovary and I needed to be rushed in to surgery because my life was on the line. Fast forward to me coming home from that surgery and I was a wreck. I refused to get up and walk like I was instructed and even slept on my living room floor. I completely lost myself through that. I got addicted to pain pills and moved back to where I was living before which was in a different state. I was still addicted to pills and got suicidal. Fast forward again, and about a year or so later I found out I was pregnant again. I immediately got sober. I cut out everything I had been doing cold turkey and knew I had to get myself right for my baby.

My oldest boy was born in August a few weeks early after my mom told me to go in and get my contractions checked again. While there, my contractions stopped his heart and he was taken via emergency c-section. After he was about a week old, my boyfriend at the time started to be abusive and cheated constantly. Of course I was blamed for every single moment of it. When my son was 7 months and my tailbone ended up being broken, I decided I had had enough. It was time to get myself and my son out of there.

I ended up hanging out with the man I am dating and he is wonderful! We had been acquaintances for awhile and had the same friends! He accepted my oldest as his own without hesitation even knowing he didn’t have to, and has taken us in and showed us true unconditional love! Soon after we started dating, we found out I was pregnant with our now almost 9 month old! Of course we were nervous, scared, and excited!

My youngest was born in November of last year. He was two months early and very sick. He was placed in the NICU at our local hospital where he had to have a feeding tube, countless IV’s, and at one point had to have a spinal tap because they thought he had menengitis. We spent countless hours by his side praying that he would get better and we thought he was. About a month later, he was transferred to Primary Children’s Hospital about 45 minutes from us. We were told he had taken a complete turn and there was talk of open heart surgery due to bacteria in part of his heart. Every moment that we could we took the drive to be with him. Every hour there were updates. It was horrible! But on January 7th which happened to be his due date, we got to bring him home forever! He had a picc line for 4 weeks to get the antibiotics he still needed, but has been thriving ever since!

Now of course, I’m a stay at home mom! I get frustrated, I cry sometimes probably more than my 2 year old. I am an introvert and even just the idea of posting my blogs brings me out of my comfort zone! I’m just finding out who I am again beyond being a mom!

Basically through all of this, I want all of my readers to know that every story is different but every single story is beautiful! This blog is meant to help those moms out there that feel alone or like no one gets it! You’re NEVER alone! I’m here to tell you through my blog that I totally get it and we can get through this madnesses called motherhood together! I hope that each week you as my readers get excited to come back for more! Feel free to comment or email me and tell me what you think or what you want to see!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To All Of My NICU Parents!

This one goes out to all the mamas (and daddies) who either have had or are currently going through the NICU journey with their baby. Words can’t express the NICU journey properly but I will do my best. Let’s start with how my NICU story began. Just one day shy of 10 months ago, I gave birth to my second baby boy. I was 27 weeks pregnant and literally dying. The pregnancy as a whole got really scary and complicated in my second trimester and just kept getting worse. I was on bedrest because the pregnancy was high risk. I couldn’t take more than five steps without getting so out of breath I would almost pass out. I was drinking obscene amounts of milk to combat what I thought and was told was heartburn. There were days where I couldn’t feel my little guy moving very much. I knew I was having contractions so I was in and out of labor and delivery all to get told that since I “wasn’t screaming in pain and I wasn’t dilating that I wasn’t in labor.”  On November 21st at about 8 pm, I n

Mom Shaming.. Just Don’t Do It.

Mom shaming. Have you heard of it? Chances are if you are a mom you’ve definitely heard of it. In a super connected world with social media and such, mom shaming has become a major issue. Pretty much everyone has fallen victim to or been the holier than thou mother who feels her way is better than anyone else’s. But why do moms feel the need to shame other moms? We are all trying our very best at the same job! I was online the other day and I read a viral blog on Facebook about using the cry it out method. The moms in the comment thread were basically in a verbal blood bath with each other! One mom would say that the cry it out method was basically abuse. Another mom would comment and educate about how parents who use the cry it out method don’t actually lock their children in a room to scream all night. The original commenter would comment back and so the war began. I’ve seen moms shame other moms because a mom would post a picture of her child eating a cheeseburger and fries.

Learning To Speak Through Playtime

Last week when I took my oldest child to his two year checkup, I was told that he needed speech therapy. This isn’t the only time I was told my boy would need therapy of some sort. When he was seven months old, his previous pediatrician told me that if he didn’t start sitting on his own within a month, he would need physical therapy. As a mom, my first thought was “I have once again failed my baby.” While talking to his pediatrician, she could see that thought written all over my face. What she then said to me was everything I needed in that moment. She said, “him needing therapy does not mean he is dumb or deaf. He has accelerated on so many other levels. Him needing speech therapy simply means that he didn’t take an interest in talking, but is now at an age where he will fall behind if he doesn’t start soon.” Of course, as she always does, she told me exactly what I needed to hear. She helped me see that I’m not failing as a mother. She taught me that some children just do thi