Skip to main content

Chicken And Stuffing Casserole

 Pinterest saved my life and my sanity last night! When it comes to Pinterest and the thousands of food recipes that you can find, there definitely isn't a shortage when it comes to food. I had previously sworn off of using Pinterest recipes. Why you may ask? Well, because the last recipe that I tried, left me with under cooked tater tots and tears streaming down my face while I sat on the floor of my kitchen beating myself up for failing my family and their stomachs. What that specific recipe didn't tell me that I later found out from both my mother in law and my sister in law is that you need to place the tater tots in rows, don't just pile them on top of the dish because it will definitely cook uneven.
  Anyways, yesterday I was trying to decide what to make for dinner. Dinner honestly has become such a problem for me. On one hand, I absolutely loath cooking..It's literally the bane of my entire existence because I know I am horrible at it..If I was rich and I could afford a chef, you better believe I would hire one in a heartbeat! On the other hand, I know that my family is depending on me for a good warm meal to fill their bellies. I know that as a mother this is one of the everyday things that I must learn how to do. They aren't expecting a gourmet meal by any means but they are expecting something super tasty that they all like. That leads me to something else that makes dinner mission impossible in our house... Picky eaters!That's right, my whole entire house is full of picky eaters. Picky children, picky boyfriend..everyone except yours truly is picky. My kids refuse to eat basically anything these days. I'm very lucky if I find a meal that they want to eat that isn't dry cereal, bananas, apples, or candy. Trav won't eat anything with chunky tomatoes, peas, green beans, fish of any kind including shrimp, most things with cream cheese (even cheesecake which absolutely still to this day baffles my mind that anyone could not like cheesecake!), brussel sprouts, cabbage..the list goes on and on! Trav also won't eat most soups or stews and nothing can touch (unless its like mashed potatoes and the gravy that goes on them of course). So as you can see, it is close to impossible to find something for dinner that isn't fast food that everyone will eat.
  I finally made the executive decision to pull out some chicken to defrost. Chicken is my go to when it comes to having no idea of what to make because if I can't come up with something on my own, I know that Shake N Bake with sides of corn and Rice A Roni won't fail me. We have that meal quite a bit and frankly, I want something new. Something that isn't going to make my taste buds scream in pain begging for new flavors. After stewing about how much I really didn't want Shake N Bake again, I pulled out my phone and pulled up Pinterest. I pulled up the search bar and typed in chicken recipes. Scrolling through, I didn't really see much in the way of new recipes to try as I had pretty much exhausted the popular searches that I thought my family might like. So then I got to thinking. About a year ago, my mother in law had found a recipe on Pinterest that involved chicken and stuffing in the crock pot and it went over really well with the boys! So, getting really excited about finding that recipe, I typed in chicken and stuffing recipes. There were so many options from in the crock pot, to casseroles in the oven, and even a few that were just baked chicken with homemade stuffing on the side. At this point, I'm almost certain that I'm busting out the crock pot. I then find a post called Chicken and Stuffing Casserole with a beautiful picture that looked absolutely delicious! I pull up the recipe and thank my lucky stars! I have everything that I need for it! I did tweak it a little bit and I'll explain just what I did underneath the recipe!

Ingredients:

1 package Stove Top Stuffing (chicken flavor)
1-2 lbs chicken breast, cut into small pieces
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/3 cup sour cream
1 package (16 oz) frozen mixed vegetables
Salt/Pepper
4-5 garlic cloves, minced

Directions:

Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray, set aside.
In a bowl, combine the chicken, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, mixed vegetables, salt, pepper, and garlic. Stir until all is combined.
In a separate bowl, prepare the stuffing as directed on the package.
Pour chicken mixture into bottom of pan.
Spread prepared stuffing over entire top of mixture.
Bake in a preheated oven, 400, for about 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
  So, my few tweaks were adding a few more scoops of sour cream, I didn't add the mixed veggies, I didn't pre-make the stuffing, and I added 1/4 cup of butter to the stuffing. The stuffing on top was crunchy and super delicious, and the chicken was super creamy! The whole entire pan was eaten within a matter of minutes! I will definitely make this again without question! I can't wait to find other amazing recipes to try now! Whether you have a picky family like mine or you have a family that loves anything that they try, this will be a favorite! I would love to hear your experiences with this recipe, whether you love it or you hate it! You got this mama, keep your head up and keep trying! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To All Of My NICU Parents!

This one goes out to all the mamas (and daddies) who either have had or are currently going through the NICU journey with their baby. Words can’t express the NICU journey properly but I will do my best. Let’s start with how my NICU story began. Just one day shy of 10 months ago, I gave birth to my second baby boy. I was 27 weeks pregnant and literally dying. The pregnancy as a whole got really scary and complicated in my second trimester and just kept getting worse. I was on bedrest because the pregnancy was high risk. I couldn’t take more than five steps without getting so out of breath I would almost pass out. I was drinking obscene amounts of milk to combat what I thought and was told was heartburn. There were days where I couldn’t feel my little guy moving very much. I knew I was having contractions so I was in and out of labor and delivery all to get told that since I “wasn’t screaming in pain and I wasn’t dilating that I wasn’t in labor.”  On November 21st at about 8 pm, I n

Mom Shaming.. Just Don’t Do It.

Mom shaming. Have you heard of it? Chances are if you are a mom you’ve definitely heard of it. In a super connected world with social media and such, mom shaming has become a major issue. Pretty much everyone has fallen victim to or been the holier than thou mother who feels her way is better than anyone else’s. But why do moms feel the need to shame other moms? We are all trying our very best at the same job! I was online the other day and I read a viral blog on Facebook about using the cry it out method. The moms in the comment thread were basically in a verbal blood bath with each other! One mom would say that the cry it out method was basically abuse. Another mom would comment and educate about how parents who use the cry it out method don’t actually lock their children in a room to scream all night. The original commenter would comment back and so the war began. I’ve seen moms shame other moms because a mom would post a picture of her child eating a cheeseburger and fries.

Learning To Speak Through Playtime

Last week when I took my oldest child to his two year checkup, I was told that he needed speech therapy. This isn’t the only time I was told my boy would need therapy of some sort. When he was seven months old, his previous pediatrician told me that if he didn’t start sitting on his own within a month, he would need physical therapy. As a mom, my first thought was “I have once again failed my baby.” While talking to his pediatrician, she could see that thought written all over my face. What she then said to me was everything I needed in that moment. She said, “him needing therapy does not mean he is dumb or deaf. He has accelerated on so many other levels. Him needing speech therapy simply means that he didn’t take an interest in talking, but is now at an age where he will fall behind if he doesn’t start soon.” Of course, as she always does, she told me exactly what I needed to hear. She helped me see that I’m not failing as a mother. She taught me that some children just do thi